Dear Fishbourne Tennis Club member,
Welcome to the latest regular email update of the exciting things happening at your tennis club.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- 20 October, Friday, 7pm, Table tennis Tournament, Fishbourne Centre
- 5 November, Sunday, 9am, American Tournament (NOTE NEW DATE)
- 9 December, Saturday, 7pm, Christmas Party with Nuthin’ Yet Band, Fishbourne Centre
- 16 December, Saturday 9am, Festive Tennis and club-provided lunch for all members – please note we will be in the small hall, not the Blue Room
- 19 January 2018, Friday 7pm, FTC Quiz Night & Curry, Fishbourne Centre
AUTUMN AMERICAN TOURNAMENT
The next American Tournament, the last of 2017, will be held on Sunday 5 November. This is a change to the scheduled date of 22 October. Entry is £3 with soup and roll for £2, so bring a fiver! As before entry will be restricted to 14 men and 14 women and priority will be given to members who didn’t get to play in the last tournament. Sign up in the clubhouse.
COULD YOU TAKE THE AMERICAN TOURNAMENT REINS?
Would you like to do your bit for the club and take charge of running the immensely popular American Tournaments in 2018? There’s not much to it at all, say Roy and June, and they should know because they have been the powerhouse behind them for years and it is down to them they are always so successful. But Roy and June have decided it is now someone else’s turn. So the club needs a person (or a couple?) to take charge and make them even more successful. If it’s you, talk to Roy or June or let a committee member know.
FTC FIELDING SEVEN TEAMS IN PORTSMOUTH & DISTRICT WINTER LEAGUE
After a hugely enjoyable and successful summer of tennis for FTC in the Portsmouth & District LTA league, Fishbourne is fielding more teams and more players than ever in the winter league which is now underway. With seven teams there could be a spot for you – whether 18 or 80. So if you are keen to try out for one of the teams contact the relevant captain without delay.
The FTC Winter League teams and their captains are as follows:
Weekend games, no age restriction
- Men’s first team Captain Sam Hart email@example.com 07875 151191
- Men’s second team Captain Dick Nicholson firstname.lastname@example.org 07860 408851
- Ladies’ team Captain Kate Gurl email@example.com 07904 093641
- Mixed doubles Captain Cressida Williams firstname.lastname@example.org 07753 423488
Masters – weekday games, +50 men, +45 women
- Masters mixed Division 1 Captain Sue Lord email@example.com 01243 574680
- Masters mixed Division 2 Captain Elizabeth Williams firstname.lastname@example.org 01243 673920
- Ladies Masters Captain Mandy Davies email@example.com 07800 799123
WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO TO WIMBLEDON IN 2018?
You would? Great. The first stage is to make sure the club gets as high an allocation of tickets from the LTA as possible. To do this we need all FTC members including juniors to ‘opt in’ for Wimbledon tickets on the LTA website. You might have done this before but you need to do it again – you have to opt in every year. In 2017 fewer FTC members opted in than previously with the result that we got fewer tickets. To opt in you will need your British Tennis Membership username and password. Armed with that go to the website by clicking here and log-in, then press the opt-in button. Simples! Please DO IT NOW! If it has worked they will send you an email confirming you have opted in.
FINALS DAY 2017 A BIG SUCCESS
The club’s Championships Finals Day in early September was a resounding success with brilliant tennis, epic matches and worthy winners. At one point there were 60 people watching the action, enjoying a drink and the fab barbecue (thanks Trevor!). A full report with all the winners and the results is live on the FTC website, along with a wonderful gallery of photographs from FTC’s ace snapper, Nikki Holden. You may already have seen some of them – the Chi Observer devoted half a page to covering the club’s biggest day.