A revised version of the club’s Code of Conduct was agreed by the Fishbourne Tennis Club committee in March 2017. It is printed below. The committee would like to bring to the attention of all members the following paragraph which is new for 2017:
When representing FTC in league matches only the highest standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, and ambassadorship are acceptable.
Code of Conduct/Player Etiquette
It is the ethos of Fishbourne Tennis Club that players (members and non-members) should conduct themselves in the spirit of friendliness, flexibility, safety and enjoyment, these being the priorities of the Club.
Pavilion, courts and clothing
- Please respect our pavilion which is provided for all members and visiting teams to use, and leave tidy and clean when you leave; all used water-bottles and wrappings should be placed in the bins provided on the site; please remove any rubbish spotted in and around the courts;
- all players must wear tennis or other appropriate sports clothing. Training shoes with hard soles must not be worn
- Members and non-members must follow the rules that apply for the booking and use of the courts and floodlights; this relies on the integrity and honesty of the players involved;
- please co-operate flexibly when all courts may not be available due to maintenance or weather issues, for example; while the Club will seek to ensure a safe playing environment, individuals play at their own risk especially during inclement weather;
- please be aware that the availability of courts for member and non-member booking will be subject to change and subject to the seasonal organised programmes by FTC covering adult and junior activities, leagues and competitions, club sessions, and by the approved programmes operated by Generation Tennis; members may not book courts or play pre-arranged matches on courts allocated to these activities;
- new members and junior players, prospective members and non-members, should be welcomed and encouraged to use the courts properly and within the Rules of the Club; the decision of a member of the Committee on the availability of a court for play shall be final.
- dogs may not be taken onto the courts and any intimidation of players or spectators should be avoided; please refrain from use of mobile phones on the court area unless in an emergency;
- Abuse of equipment (including balls) out of frustration is unacceptable! Any outward demonstration of dissent in anger, or rudeness to another player on or off the court is not in the spirit of the Club or the game of tennis;
- please ensure the ball comes to rest in a safe position before playing the next point; the server should endeavour to keep the score and call it out after each point; if line calls are not clear or agreed then ‘play a let’ to continue.
- the club sessions are designed for the enjoyment of all members of all abilities; waiting members should organise next games on the basis of those who have waited longest or who have just arrived; floodlights may be used until 9 p.m. and must be turned off; please return full cans of balls to the cupboard after play and sure that the courts are locked;
- members may not play pre-arranged games on any unallocated courts during club sessions and should mix in with other members at the club session;
- pairs should mix up after each match whenever possible; mixed ability games are encouraged; priority should be given to Mixed, then Ladies’ or Men’s doubles, then Singles games; singles should give way to doubles games when members are waiting to play;
- where appropriate, please welcome and encourage new members to join in and mix with existing members at club sessions, subject to their playing ability being of a suitable standard; new members are advised that coaching and Beginners sessions are available to bring them up to suitable standard of play to join in club sessions;
- short sets should apply (‘sudden death’ on deuce or first to 5 games) if numbers waiting warrant this; in daylight sessions, if more than four are waiting, under floodlights, if anyone is waiting;
- floodlights may be used until 9 p.m. and must be turned off; please return full cans of balls to the cupboard after play.
Tournaments and Competitions
- The rules for a particular tournament or competition as defined by the Club Committee, or the LTA, or as determined by a County or District league, and which may change from time to time, will apply;
- when representing FTC in league matches only the highest standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, and ambassadorship are acceptable.
- The practice wall may be used by members when Court 1 is not booked for other activities.
Thank you Fishbourne Tennis Club Committee