Dear Fishbourne Tennis Club member,
Welcome to the latest regular email update of the exciting things happening at your tennis club.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- 13 August Sunday, American Tournament and barbecue (see below)
- 17 August, Thursday 5pm, committee meeting (observers welcome), Fishbourne Centre
- 2 September, Saturday FINALS DAY
- 20 October, Friday, 7pm, Table tennis Tournament, Fishbourne Centre
- 9 December, Saturday, 7pm, Christmas Party with Nuthin’ Yet Band, Fishbourne Centre
- 16 December, Saturday 9am, Festive Tennis and lunch
- 26 January 2018, Friday 7pm, FTC Quiz Night, Fishbourne Centre
SUMMER AMERICAN TOURNAMENT AND BARBECUE
This immensely popular event is being held on Sunday 13 August this year. Details of when and where to sign up for the tournament will be announced shortly, and in view of likely big numbers priority will be given to players who missed out last time. The barbecue will be bigger and better than ever and all are welcome – so bring friends and family even if you are not playing.
FTC CHAMPIONSHIPS MOVE TOWARDS THE SEMIS!
Most first and second round matches have now been played, some big names are out (shock!) and the competitive spirit among those still in is burning more fiercely than ever! The VETs65 tournament kicks off in earnest in July while the FTC Junior Singles Championships – this year open to 13-15-year-olds from local schools – is for the first time sponsored by YONEX.
Here’s a rundown of forthcoming matches:
Men’s singles quarter-finals (by 31 July)
- Tom Craddock vs James Wilson
- Chris Gosden vs Henry Mac
- Bill Cove vs Martin Davies
- Luke McEwen vs Tom Dry
Ladies’ singles semi-finals (by 21 August)
- Katy Bracher vs either Tamsin Saunders or Shaz Morris
- Gilly Perrin vs either Mandy Davies or Cindy Metcalfe
Ladies’ doubles quarter-finals (by 31 July)
- Sue Lord and Katy Bracher vs Elizabeth Williams and Anne Houlson
- Nikki Scott and Jo Moorcroft vs Lorna Donnelly and Cressida Williams
- Mandy Davies and Sally Atkins vs Tamsin Saunders and Sue Bargery
- Already through to the semis: Shaz Morris and Kate Gurl
Men’s doubles quarter-finals (by 31 July)
- Chris Gosden and Phil Tite vs James Wilson and Henry Mac
- Robin Coghlan and Martin Davies vs Bill Cove and Andre Rogers
- Callum Budd and Ben Jameson vs either Howard Roeber and Bernie Lingard, or Tom and Will Dry
- Ian Williams and Mike Hall Hall vs Tom Craddock and Sam Hart
Mixed doubles quarter-finals (by 31 July)
- Andre Rogers and Mo Gray vs Sue Lord and Ian Williams
- Robin Coghlan and Priscilla Pendle vs Bill Cove and Nikki Scott
- Trevor Bracher and Kate Gurl vs Derek Nordern and Tamsin Saunders
- Already through to the semis (to be be played by 21 August): Sue Groves and James Wilson
CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS
FTC’s men’s and ladies’ doubles champions this year will be in with a chance of being crowned the county’s LTA Champion of Champions. This is an entirely new competition among LTA clubs in Hampshire and the IOW which the FTC committee has decided to fully support on members’ behalf. Our men’s and ladies’ doubles champs will automatically be eligible to take part (if they wish to), with the club providing any support needed. Our pairs have to be nominated by 11 September, so one week after Finals Day. The tournament is being held at Totton and Eling Tennis Centre on 23-24 September 2017, and as well as the fun and the glory there are some top prizes.
BALLS NOW FOR SALE AT THE CLUB
Members can buy our once-used ex-match balls in the clubhouse. If available (and they do go very quickly), they will be in the changing room section. Help yourself but please remember to put £2 a tube (bargain price!) in an envelope with your name on it into the safe. Remember, the club provides balls for members’ use at club sessions only.
TWO NEW COMMITTEE MEMBERS
The FTC committee is very pleased to welcome two new members to its ranks: Mandy Davies and Sam Hart. All members will join the committee in wishing a speedy recovery to club secretary, Robin Birtley. We are missing you Robin!
TENNIS COACHING AT FISHBOURNE
Generation Tennis’s summer programme of coaching is in full swing, reports Alex Bone. FTC men’s coaching on a Wednesday evening has around 10 on a weekly basis and the ladies on a Friday morning has around 12 participants. Cardio tennis on Wednesdays has between four and six participants. Tuesday mini coaching pay ’n play has six children, Wednesday mini coaching has 18 children attending, and Saturday afternoon has 12 children attending.
FTC MEMBERS ENJOYING WIMBLEDON
FTC was allocated 13 pairs of tickets to the Wimbledon Championships this year and after a successful ballot at the AGM in the spring all the tickets have been taken up by FTC members.
Several members have asked who the winners are so here’s the list:
Lesley Kelsall Centre Court 15 July
Chris Pring Centre Court 11 July
Barrie Dunn Centre Court 3 July
Bob Murray Centre Court 4 July
Bryan Doling Centre Court 14 July
Judith Whittaker No 1 Court 4 July
Nicola Dawtrey No 1 Court 3 July
Elizabeth Williams No 1 Court 5 July
Lyn Smith No 1 Court 11 July
Gilly Perrin No 1 Court 12 July
Tamsin Saunders No Court 16 July
Cameron Franks No 2 Court 5 July
Susie Upton-Brown No 2 Court 8 July